To endorse, email: email@example.com
As 2011 gives way to 2012, people’s movements for justice are met with unprecedented global militarization. From Oakland to Egypt, people are demanding democracy and an equitable distribution of wealth while attacked with tear gas and pepper spray, rubber bullets and live ammunition. We have become all too familiar with the recent images of the words “Made in the USA” on tear gas canisters used against Egyptians, thousands of whom have been injured and scores killed. Others have experienced firsthand the brutality of these weapons used against the decolonize/occupy movements in the US. Tear gas, however, is but one manifestation of this assault.
Militarization is not new. Police brutality is not a recent phenomenon. Communities of color and poor communities have long faced the violence of systems of power. Police brutality, racial profiling, surveillance of communities, control of media and communication, and attacks on immigrants in the US are all connected to the global militarization we are seeing in Egypt and other places where people are fighting for their freedom. What we are witnessing today is an illumination of these acts of violence as thousands stand together in defiance of such assaults.
We echo this resolve. We will not allow corporations to profit off the brutality against our people in the US or abroad! Egyptian revolutionaries have asked for the movements in the US to shutdown the manufacturing and shipment of weapons and we heed their call in solidarity. We are calling for a targeted campaign against the corporations that profit off the use of these chemical weapons. These corporations have paved the way for a systemic attack against movements for justice.
We must also hold our government accountable for their hand in repression abroad and demand they stop military aid to Egypt. We will not allow our tax dollars to be used in supporting corporations and dictators that profit from and facilitate state violence against our people in the US and abroad!
- Ad-Hoc Coalition to Defend the Egyptian Revolution
- Al-Awda, SF – Palestine Right to Return Coalition
- Al-Awda, NY – Palestine Right to Return Coalition
- ANSWER – Act Now to Stop the War and End Racism
- AROC – Arab Resource and Organizing Center
- IJAN – International Jewish Antizionist Network
- ISO – International Socialist Organization
- Labor for Palestine – New York City Labor Against War
- SJP – Students for Justice in Palestine at UC Davis
- Syrian American Council, Bay Area
- USACBI – US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel
- USPCN – US Palestinian Community Network
- War Resisters League, New York