Celebrating Rasmea Odeh: A Night of Poetry, Music and Performance
Friday, June 6 7:00pm
The Commons Brooklyn
388 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, New York 11217
Facebook event: //www.facebook.com/events/1492467274300315/
Our event will celebrate the remarkable life and work of Rasmea Odeh, a Chicago-based, Palestinian American feminist, educator, and community leader, who just marked her 66th birthday. Her groundbreaking, lifelong efforts to empower Arab and immigrant women have inspired generations of Arab feminist activists.
Currently, Rasmea Odeh is facing criminal charges for alleged failure to disclose, during immigration proceedings, that she had been tortured and imprisoned in an Israeli jail. Though she has lived in the US for 19 years and been a US citizen since 2004, she faces a 10 prison sentence and revocation of citizenship, should she be convicted.
Our event seeks to support fundraising efforts for her legal team and broad community of supporters. We will include performances from poets, musicians, and artists; we will also provide light snacks.
** PERFORMERS/SPEAKERS **
– DIALA SHAMAS: attorney working with the Creating Law Enforcement Accountability and Responsibility project at CUNY Law
– MEZNA QATO: Center for Palestine Studies, Columbia University; National Coordinating Committee of the US Palestinian Community Network
– CHE GOSSETT: genderqueer writer and activist; participant in librarians and archivists delegation to Palestine
– THENJIWE MCHARRIS: organizer, Peoples’ Justice for Community Control and Police Accountability; Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
– REMI KANAZI: Palestinian spoken word poet and BDS activist
– RED TIRONA: organizer, Anakbayan-NY
– DINA OMAR: Palestinian poet, activist, and graduate student
– DARO BEHROOZI TRIO: New Orleans/Arabic jazz, featuring Daro Behroozi on saxophone, Harry Ruben-Falcone on bass, and Jesse Chevan on drums
Sliding scale: $10-20; no one turned away for lack of funds
If you cannot attend but still would like to donate:
* Go to www.stopfbi.net/donate and forward your automated receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org noting the amount and its designation to Rasmea.
* If you want your donation to be tax-deductible, you must write a check in the amount of $100 or more and make it payable to the NLG Foundation (with Rasmea Defense Fund written in the memo) and mail the check to: Arab American Action Network ATTN: Rasmea Defense Fund 3148 W. 63rd Street, 2nd Floor, Chicago IL 60629).
**If you cannot attend, please help us spread the word! Please share/tweet/forward the event! Thanks.